A new take on an old favourite
We all love a nutritious crowd pleaser. Something that warms the heart and leaves smiling faces and full tummies. The ideal weekday meal is something that can feed a crowd and is tasty and easy to make. Chilli con carne is exactly that! It’s a fiery take on mince and veg and can be made in a flash. So, let’s add a little extra spice to a classic family favourite.
- 500g lean mince lamb or beef
- A splash of oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 2 medium onions, chopped or sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ cup, chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tsp. hot curry powder
- 1–2 dried red chilies depending on taste
- 2 tsp. ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander powder
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. tomato purée
- 1 x 400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Place a large pot over a medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. Add the mince and season with a little salt. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring and breaking up the lumps. Once browned, remove from the heat and set aside. In the same pot add another drizzle of oil along with onion, ginger, garlic, cumin powder, coriander powder, curry powder and leave to fry gently for 1 to 2 minutes. Next add the tomato puree and chopped tomato and stir well. Add the chopped vegetables, mince, stock and bring back to simmer. Once reduced, add the drained kidney beans and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Simmer it gently on the hob for a further 15 minutes. Garnish with the chopped fresh coriander and serve warm.
It will be ready in a flash and devoured just as quickly!