Rajah | Recipes | Boerewors Meatball Stew with Butternut Isijingi
Boerewors Meatball Stew with Butternut Isijingi
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Product: Rajah Flavourful & Mild
Cost for 6 portions: R83
250g butternut, peeled and cubed
1 tsp salt, plus extra to taste
2 cups maize meal
500g beef mince
3 tbsp Rajah Flavourful & Mild
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus extra to taste
2 tsp ground coriander
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tsp salt
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
1 x 400g tinned tomato and onion mix
2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- Place the butternut and salt in a medium-sized pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the butternut is very soft.
- Mash the butternut with a fork – don’t worry about it not being completely smooth.
- Gradually stir in the maize meal while stirring until the isijingi is a thick and creamy consistency – add more water if necessary.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the maize meal is cooked. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, prepare the boerewors meatballs by placing the mince, 2 tbsp Rajah Flavourful & Mild, spices and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Mix well to combine.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of the mince into meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the meatballs until browned.
- Add the tomato-onion mix and garlic and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce with the isijingi.