Brown Rice vs White Rice
We all know that brown rice is better for you than white, and although many of us opt for white because of its appearance, brown rice is still the top choice in terms of nutritional and other health benefits. White rice goes through a refining process that removes the hull and bran which is what makes brown rice rich in protein, thiamine calcium, magnesium, fibre and potassium. Brown rice can aid weight loss and improve the health of diabetics because of its low glycaemic rating which helps to reduce insulin spikes.
Below are the many other health benefits of brown rice:
- Brown rice is rich in Selenium, a mineral that is found in the soil that reduces the risk of developing common illnesses such as cancer, heart disease and arthritis.
- One cup of brown rice provides 80% of our daily manganese requirements, which is a mineral that benefits our nervous and reproductive systems as well as helps the body to synthesize fats.
- Brown rice contains natural oils, which help normalize cholesterol levels.
- Its high fibre content promotes easier digestion and bowel regularity, which is good for weight loss. This also helps to prevent colon cancer as these fibres attach to cancer causing substances and eliminates them from the colon wall.
- Because brown rice is unrefined, it is considered a whole grain. Whole grains reduce the build-up of arterial plaque and therefore, reduce the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol.
- Brown rice’s antioxidant capacity is as high as that found in blueberries, strawberries and other antioxidant-rich foods.
- Brown rice helps to stabilize blood sugar levels, making it an excellent food choice for fighting and preventing diabetes.
- Its dense natural nutrition and fibre makes it the perfect first food for babies as rapidly growing babies and toddlers require nutrient rich foods to help maintain their growth cycles.
- The natural digestibility of brown rice, coupled with its high fibre content, helps sensitive digestive systems heal from an overgrowth of candida organisms making brown rice the perfect supplement for candida yeast infection treatments.
Hopefully these benefits and the wholesome goodness of brown rice is enough to convince you to choose brown rice over white rice as a delicious and healthier alternative come cooking time.
Click the link for delicious curry recipes from Rajah, that are best suited to a bowl full of fragrant rice.