Serves: 2 to 3
45ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, finely chopped
4 Jam Tomatoes (Skins off and Stick blended)
3 Habanero Chillis
2 Tablespoons Brown Seedless Tamarind (Soaked with approx. half a cup of water. Black tamarind can also be used)
I Tbs freshly ground Ginger and Garlic
1 to 2 Pinches of Black Mustard Seeds
1 Pinch Methi Seeds
1.5 Tablespoon rough Sea Salt
1.5 Tablespoons Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1.5 teaspoon Rajah Flavourful and Mild Curry Powder
1.5 teaspoon Rajah All-in-One Curry Powder
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
1.25kg Fish Slabs (tail end)
1 Sprig Curry Leaves
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste (optional)
Dhania to garnish
1. Braise onions on medium heat.
2. Add ginger garlic mix, mustard and methi seeds.
3. Add chillis.
4. Add masalas and mix
5. Stir in tomatoes and toss for a few seconds.
6. Add curry leaves.
7. Add tamarind water and cook for approx. 10 minutes (until tomatoes are almost melted) on medium to low heat.
8. Add salt and add fish.
9. Cook for a further 10 to 12 minutes, turning the fish over once or twice until the fish is fully cooked.
10. Garnish with dhania once cooked. Serve with mealie meal roti.
Thank you to Kaish Ramdaw for sharing this delicious recipe with us!