Rajah | Recipes | Masala Oxtail with Herby Dombolo
Masala Oxtail with Herby Dombolo
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Product: Rajah Mild Masala
Cost for 4 portions: R110
750g oxtail (see TIP)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
30ml (2 tbsp) cake flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala
125ml (1/2 cup) red wine (can replace with water
375ml (1 ½ cups) water
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
15ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
1 x 400g tin lentils, drained
1x 400g tin black eyed beans, drained
2 cups (500ml) cake flour
5ml (1 tsp) instant dry yeast
5ml (1 tsp) salt
180ml (¾ cup) warm water, plus extra if necessary
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Season the oxtail well with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and brown the oxtail on all sides.
- Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and Rajah and saute for 5 minutes until softened.
- Return the oxtail to the pot along with the, wine, water, bay leaf, thyme and tomato paste.
- Cover and allow to simmer over a low heat for at least 3 hours or until tender.
- Shred the oxtail, remove the bones and stir in the lentils and black eyed beans and leave to cook for another 15 minutes.
To make the dombolo, place the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the warm water and oil. Mix to form a rough dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for about 8 minutes until smooth. Knead in the herbs. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
Form the dough into balls and arrange on top of the oxtail stew. Cover with the lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until puffed and cooked through. Serve immediately.
TIP The oxtail can be replaced with lamb knuckles or neck.