Rajah | Recipes | Masala-Roasted Pumpkin with Creamy Samp
Masala-Roasted Pumpkin with Creamy Samp
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Product: Rajah Mild Masala
Cost for 4 portions: R38
2 cups samp
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala
2 tbsp vegetable oil
500g pumpkin, cut into wedges (reserve the seeds)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g salted butter
A handful of fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the samp in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover completely.
- Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Drain the samp ad place in a large pot.
- Add enough cold water to the pot to just cover the samp.
- Add the bay leaf and salt and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every now and then.
- After 1 hour, top up the samp with enough water to cover again and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the Rajah Mild Masala, oil, pumpkin wedges, reserved seeds and salt in a large roasting dish and toss to coat all the pumpkin.
- Place in the preheated oven and roast for 30 minutes or until golden and caramelised.
- Stir the butter and cream into the samp and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the creamy samp topped with the roasted pumpkin, pumpkin seeds and chopped fresh parsley.