Rajah | Recipes | Pilchard Cottage Pie
Pilchard Cottage Pie
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Product: Rajah Mild Masala
Cost for 6 portions: R72
1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tbsp butter
½ cup milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Vegetable or olive oil, for frying
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and grated
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
2 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala
3 x 400g tins pilchards in tomato sauce
A handful of spinach leaves, chopped
Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
1 cup grated cheese, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add the potatoes.
- Cook until very soft – about 10 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth then add the butter, milk and season to taste.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat the oil and fry the onions, carrots and celery until softened – about 10 minutes.
- Add the Rajah Mild Masala and toast for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the pilchards (and their sauce) and spinach and bring to the boil. Season well.
- Spread the pilchard mixture into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden and caramelised.
TIP Swop out the potatoes for sweet potatoes – they are high in fibre and have a low GI so are a healthier alternative.