Rajah | Recipes | Prawn Jollof Rice
Prawn Jollof Rice
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Product: Rajah All-in-One
Cost for 4 portions: R122
2 Knorr Chicken Stock Pots
4 cups long-grain rice, rinsed well
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 onions, finely chopped or grated
4 sweet red peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
2 tbsp Rajah All-In-One
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
250g prawns, deveined (see TIP)
- Place the chicken stock pots in a large jug and add 6 cups hot water. Stir to dissolve.
- Bring the rice to a boil in a large saucepan with 2 cups of the stock mixture.
- Cook with a lid on over medium heat for 15 minutes – the rice should only be half cooked.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onions and peppers until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the Rajah All-In-One and saute for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste. Add 2 cups of the stock mixture and the parboiled rice, cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir the rice to prevent burning, add the remaining 1 cup stock, arrange the prawns on top and season well.
- Cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, remove from the heat and place a clean tea towel over the top of the pot, with the lid on and allow to stand for 30 minutes before serving.
TIP To make Party Jollof rice, once the rice is cooked turn the heat up to the highest setting for 3-5 minutes and allow the bottom to burn slightly and go crispy. Remove from the heat and allow to stand before serving.