- 250 g butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to taste
- 2 cups maize meal
- 500 g beef mince
- 3 tbsp Rajah Flavourful & Mild curry powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black peppercorns plus extra to taste
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- 1 x 400 g tinned tomatoes and onion mix
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and grated
Serving Size 6
Amount per serving
Place the butternut squash and salt in a medium-sized pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the butternut is very soft.
Mash the butternut with a fork – don’t worry about it not being completely smooth.
Gradually stir in the maize meal while stirring until the isijingi is a thick and creamy consistency – add more water if necessary.
Simmer for 30 minutes or until the maize meal is cooked. Season well with salt and pepper.
In the meantime, prepare the boerewors meatballs by placing the mince, Rajah Flavourful & Mild curry powder, spices and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Mix well to combine.
Shape tablespoonfuls of the mince into meatballs.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the meatballs until browned.
Add the tomato-onion mix and garlic and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve the meatballs and sauce with the isijingi.