- 2 kilograms deboned chicken thighs, cubed
- 45 ml cooking oil
- 2 onions sliced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ginger
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cardamom seeds
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fennel seeds
- 4 sprigs of curry leaves
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Rajah Mild Masala curry powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Robertsons turmeric
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 1 ml (pinch) salt
- 1 ml Robertsons black pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 glasses of water
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander (dhania), chopped
Serving Size 8
Amount per serving
- Energy 628
- Protein 36.1g
- Carbohydrate incl. fibre 36.4g
- Carbohydrate excl. fibre 29.6g
- Sugar 4.6g
- Fibre 6.8g
- Fat 38.0g
- Saturated Fat 9.4g
- Unsaturated Fat 24.7g
- Monounsaturated Fat 17.4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 7.3g
- Trans Fat 0.2g
- Cholesterol 186mg
- Sodium 222mg
- Salt 0.56g
- Calcium 12%
- Iron 23%
- Potassium 33%
- Vitamin C 65%
- Vitamin A 17%
In a large pot, sear the chicken pieces in 2 tbsp of oil until light -golden brown colour over high heat.
Remove the chicken and lower the heat to medium, add 1 tbsp of oil to the same pot then add the onions, garlic, and ginger and sauté until onions are soft.
Add the cardamom seeds, fennel seeds, and curry leaves and sauté for 1 min.
Add the masala mix and turmeric powder then mix and sauté for another 2min.
Add the seared chicken, mix and then add the tomato, tomato paste and chillies.
Mix well and season with salt and pepper
Add the water and potatoes then cover and cook at medium heat for 15min.
Add the peas, coriander, stir until well mixed. Check for seasoning and add more if needed.
Allow to simmer for another 10-15min. Or until the potatoes are soft.
Garnish with leftover coriander and serve with your choice of starch/bread and condiments.