- 1 kg potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala curry powder
- 3 x 400 g tinned pilchards in tomato sauce
- handful of fresh spinach leaves chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese for sprinkling
Serving Size 6
Amount per serving
Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add the potatoes.
Cook until very soft – about 10 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth then add the butter, milk and season to taste.
In a medium-sized pan, heat the oil and fry the onions, carrots and celery until softened – about 10 minutes.
Add the Rajah Mild Masala curry powder and toast for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the pilchards (and their tomato sauce) with the spinach and bring to the boil. Season well.
Spread the pilchard mixture into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and sprinkle with grated cheese.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes or until golden and caramelised.