- 15 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1.5 tsp fresh ginger root crushed
- 1 large carrot peel and finely diced
- 2 tbsp Rajah Mild & Spicy curry powder
- 250 g dried brown lentils rinsed
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1 x 400 g tin coconut cream
- salt, freshly ground black pepper and sugar to taste
Serving Size 4
Amount per serving
- Energy 693
- Protein 23.0g
- Carbohydrate incl. fibre 63.1g
- Carbohydrate excl. fibre 39.3g
- Sugar 18.1g
- Fibre 23.8g
- Fat 40.0g
- Saturated Fat 30.7g
- Unsaturated Fat 3.9g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2.7g
- Trans Fat 0.0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 808mg
- Salt 2.02g
- Calcium 11%
- Iron 40%
- Potassium 33%
- Vitamin C 30%
- Vitamin A 162%
Heat oil in a large soup pot and fry the onion and carrot together until soft.
Add the garlic and ginger with the Rajah Mild & Spicy curry powder and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly to release the flavour and aroma.
Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and coriander and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 35 – 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Stir in the coconut cream and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
Adjust the seasoning using a little salt and freshly cracked black pepper as well as a little bit of sugar if necessary.
Serve with chunks of steamed bread. This soup is perfect to use the next day for lunch.