Rajah | Recipes | Spicy Coconut & Lentil Soup
15 ml cooking oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves crushed garlic
10 ml crushed fresh ginger
1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
30 ml Rajah Mild & Spicy Curry Powder
250 g brown lentils, rinsed
1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
1 lt vegetable stock
½ cup freshly chopped coriander
1 x 400 g tin coconut cream
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot and fry the onion and carrot together until soft.
2. Add the garlic and ginger and the Rajah Mild & Spicy Curry Powder and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly to release the flavour and aroma.
3. Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and coriander and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 35 – 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
5. Stir in the coconut cream and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
6. Adjust the seasoning using a little salt and freshly cracked black pepper as well as a little bit of sugar if necessary.
7. Serve with chunks of steam bread. This soup is perfect to use the next day for lunch.