Spicy Lentil And Sweet Potato Dahl
1 cup red lentils
30 ml cooking oil
1 onion, finely diced
15 ml crushed fresh ginger
2 cloves crushed garlic
15 ml Rajah Mild Masala Curry Powder
5 ml salt
8 fresh curry leaves
1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
30 ml tomato paste
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed (approx. 2 cm cubes)
3 cups water
1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- Rinse the lentils under clean, running water then place in a bowl of water and allow to soak.
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the ginger, garlic and Rajah Mild Masala Curry Powder and fry for 1 minute to release the flavour and aroma.
- Add the salt, curry leaves, red chilli and tomato paste and fry for a further minute.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pot together sweet potato, water and tinned tomatoes.
- Stir well and bring to the boil. Once boiling reduce the heat and allow to simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If the consistency is still soupy, continue to simmer uncovered for a further 15 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Season to taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice if necessary then serve with toasted naan bread, coriander and flaked coconut.